Lamb Stew with Prunes and Shallots
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2hr 15mins
800g lamb shoulder or neck fillet, diced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, diced
8 baby shallots, whole
200ml lamb stock
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
100g soft dried prunes
Salt and pepper
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a large casserole dish. Add the meat and brown over a high heat, you may need to do this in batches. Set aside on a plate.
- Tip in the carrot, onion and shallots fry gently until softened and starting to colour.
- Add the meat back in, along with the hearty tagine sauce, lamb stock, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, rosemary and prunes. Season generously. Put a lid on a simmer for 2 hours, stirring a few times.
- Remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and any remaining rosemary stalks. You may need to add more seasoning, depending on taste.
- Serve with couscous or baked potatoes, perhaps with a dollop of yoghurt too.