Prep time - 15 mins
Cooking time - 45 mins
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 400g tin chickpeas, drained
4 tbsp single cream
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C.
- Place the cubed butternut squash on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, season and allow to cook for 25 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a non stick frying pan and firstly add the onion and pepper.
- Fry off until softened and then add the garlic for a further few minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas along with your ras el hanout spice and make sure everything is coated nicely.
- Take the squash out of the oven and set aside to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add everything to the blender along with 300ml water and blitz until you reach the consistency you desire. Add more or less water depending on how thick you want the soup.
- Gently warm in a pan over a low / medium heat. Add the single cream and season to taste.
- Serve the soup with some fresh bread on the side. Bsaha!
- To make this vegan, replace the single cream with coconut milk / cream.
- Instead of butternut squash, you could use pumpkin or sweet potato for a delicious alternative.