Prep time - 1 hour
Cook time - 1 hour
225g plain flour
170gg caster sugar
1 vanilla pod (seeds)
1 egg, beaten
750ml whipping cream
12 egg yolks
- For the pastry, combine the flour, 50g of the sugar, butter, and vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl and rub together with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg to the mixture and combine until it forms a dough. Refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin to fit in your baking tin. Press into the tin and top with baking beans, you can also use rice if you do not having baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the custard filling, gently heat the cream until piping hot.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks & the remaining caster sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly pour in the cream. Add the ras el hanout and mix until everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry tin and bake for 50 mins until the top is golden and set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve with fresh fruit and some yoghurt, perhaps. Bsaha!